Dordrecht (Grote Kerk), The Netherlands

  • Tower website:
  • Tower captain: Paul de Kok
  • Email contact: p.m.dekok@hetnet.nl
  • Practice night: By prior arrangement only
Dordrecht, Grote Kerk

The newly installed ring of ten bells (tenor 16-2-26 in F) are hung in the massive west tower of the Grote of Onze-Lieve-Vrouwekerk (De Grote Kerk) at Dordrecht. The tower also houses a carillon of 67 bells cast by the Eijsbouts Foundry in 1965 and 1999 (tenor 10 ton) being the largest carillon in Europe.  

Full circle ringing in Dordrecht started in 2008 through the enthusiasm of Paul de Kok when he had the idea to install a small ring of 8 bells in ‘t Klockhuys, a small building immediately adjacent to the west door of Grote Kerk. The new ring of ten is the first change ringing peal of bells in a Dutch church.  The back four bells were cast in 1915 by John Taylor & Co.  They were previously part of a chime in St Mary’s Church, Low Harrogate, North Yorkshire and kindly donated by the Keltek Trust. Matthew Higby & Co. designed six trebles to match the Taylor bells. These bells were cast in 2020 by the Allanconi Bell Foundry in Italy and tuned in-house by Higby’s bell tuner Ben Kipling. Higby’s also manufactured the fittings. All the frame design, manufacturing, construction and bell hanging was executed by Paul and his son Harm Jan, making particular good use of the Covid 19 lockdown